Sunday, October 29, 2017

Training with "Tanto" and "Boon"

In August of 2017 I had the privilege of traveling to Nebraska and doing a 2-day Defensive Pistol course with Kris "Tanto" Paronto and Dave "Boon" Benton.  You may recognize them from the book and movie 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. 

They are both fantastic instructors.  Boon is so very patient and professional in his approach and Kris is the lighthearted of the two.  At one point we were shooting and Kris came up to me and started a little dance around me saying, "I'm right here ...  no pressure ... no pressure at all ... I'm right here watching every move you make... no pressure".  I think he could sense that I felt a lot of stress.  I was a new Apprentice with 88 Tactical and at the 88 Tactical HQ with 88 Tactical Senior Instructors looking on and the last thing in the world I wanted to do was look stupid and embarrassed the man who chose me to be on his team. I somehow think Kris got that and did what he could to lighten things up. 

Kris was also so encouraging. Not just to me, but to each student he would always take time to point out what they were doing correctly and compliment them when they did well.  So many instructors do not do that and yet, it only took a second for him to say something encouraging. 

An example of that is when the first day we were on the range getting warmed up so they could evaluate us and see where everyone was at in their skills.  I was on Kris's side of the range and noticed he would give a lot of attention to other shooters but never said a word to me, until he came up, put his hand on my shoulder and said, "I just want you to know I'm not ignoring you.  You are just doing well and I don't see anything to correct." 

Again on the second day we were doing a drill that was timed.  I am a slow shooter. I joke about my claim to fame is being  the slowest shooter in the world.  But he was encouraging, telling me that i had no wasted movement and was more efficient and faster than I thought I was. 

I didn't get to work with Boon as much so I didn't get to work with him on the range, but in t he classroom he amazed me with his professionalism.  For such a impressive warrior, he is soft spoken and very sweet.   

I think the thing that impressed me the most was the complete humility they displayed. Of all people they have earned the right to say "this is the way its done", but they instead show "a" way to do it and don't mess with people if what they are doing is working for them. They are even open to hearing students and made the statement, 'We want to learn from you too". Amazing! I can't say enough good things about these men who are true American heroes. 

If you get a chance to train with them, do so!  Their schedule can be found at BattlelineTactical. 







No comments:

Post a Comment