Friday, September 21, 2018

Gunsite Academy


Last weekend I had the privilege of attending a Gunsite 150 class at one of their offsite campuses in Indiana.   For some time now it has been a wish of mine to be able to train at the prestigious Gunsite Academy, located in Arizona.   I had sort of moved it to my list of fantasy wishes because I really didn’t see any way I would ever be able to do that. 

 It can be a little pricey to attend Gunsite.  A basic 5-day Pistol 250 class is $1700 plus travel expenses and hotel for a week.  That can make it difficult for many to attend.    However, they do offer offsite classes, which are every bit as good as what you find at the ranch in Arizona and are taught by the same instructors that teach at the ranch.  One of those offsite classes is just 2.5 hours away from my home and cost a bit less (although not a lot less).  As an added bonus, the location is about 20 minutes away from where my son, daughter-in-law and grandkids live, making it easy to combine a training opportunity with a short visit with family.

For anyone who might be unfamiliar with Gunsite, it began as the American Pistol Institute, founded by Col. Jeff Cooper.  Col. Cooper created the Modern Technique of the Pistol.   They are known for their focus on the Combat Triad which consist of Mindset, Marksmanship, and Gun Handling.  Col. Cooper is also known for creating the Color Code of readiness.

I often joke that Col Cooper has achieved god-like status in the industry because of the respect almost everyone has for him and for what Gunsite does. 

 

Day One


I was really looking forward to getting away and getting on a range where no one knew me and I could just  be an "anonymous" student.  Sometimes when I do a training people know that I'm an instructor and that increases the pressure to do well.  It was nice to have a chance to go train where no one knew who I was or what my background was. I really wanted to look like a newbie.  And in fact, it had been a while since I had gotten to shoot so for all I knew, I was a newbie. 

I got off on bad footing by getting zero sleep the night before leaving.  At 5am I packed up and headed to Indiana for a great weekend of training.  I made the mistake of not drinking anything before I left so I wouldn’t have to stop for the bathroom.  Not my brightest idea. That would come back to bite me in a big way later and for the rest of the weekend. 

After an almost 3 hour, dark, foggy, construction ridden drive,  I pulled into the Lebanon Police Range and saw the familiar Gunsite sign just a little before 8am.  I had arrived and could not wait for my Gunsite experience. 


After signing in and getting our swag, the Instructors Introduced themselves and we got started.  I was immediately impressed with the number of women in the class.  I didn’t take a count but it seemed like close to half of the class were female shooters.   Another thing that impressed me were that there were 3 dads there who had brought their daughters to train at Gunsite.  Very often a dad (or husband) will attempt to teach their daughters (or wife) how to shoot and that almost never goes well.  It was great to see these dads bringing their daughters, shooting alongside them and encouraging them to train and be able to defend themselves. 

Some time was spent in the classroom covering Col. Cooper’s Modern Technique of the Pistol and the Combat Triad of Mindset, Marksmanship, and Gun Handling.   Then it was out to the range for some basic shooting drills. 

The range itself was nice.  Completely grass covered which made it a softer surface to shoot from and perhaps a bit cooler than cement or gravel.  The loading tables were under a shaded patio.  That said, it was HOT.  I mean really HOT.  As in gates of Hades kind of HOT.  I had hoped that a mid-September class would be a bit cooler but no such luck.  That sun was blazing and unforgiving.

The drills began with just basic single-shots to the target in the high center-mass area from the low ready position from 3, 5, and 7-yard lines.  Not too difficult.  Going into the weekend I was not sure how I would do since it had been a while since I had spent any real time behind the gun.  Its easy as an Instructor to get so busy teaching and training others that it can be difficult to do any shooting for yourself other than to demo something for a student.   Controlled pairs were also introduced at all distances. Basically the first day was getting everyone up to speed with the fundamentals. 

They harped on the “little things” like stance, grip, and especially the trigger press.  There is good reason for that.  Its those little things that make all the difference.   The first day tactical reloads were also introduced and let me just say that many instructors ignore or place little value on the tactical reload. Not Gunsite.  It’s a big deal to them and they harp on it constantly.  Gunsite runs a “hot” range and you are expected to “manage your ammo” as necessary, preferably without being reminded.  

There was also a chance for some friendly competition shooting with a “shoot off” on steel targets.   The class ended at 5pm after a long day that had been spent mostly in the blazing Indiana sun.  It was a great day but the heat had caught up with me and I was sick. 


Day 2


The instructors graciously started class at 9am rather than 8am on the second day.  I was grateful for a chance to try to catch up on some much needed rest.  I was however, still sick.   

Not to worry about time lost in that first hours though because day two was a LONG day and Gunsite does not waste a minute.  We began in the classroom covering Mindset and Mental Conditioning.  Mindset is one of my favorite topics so I ate that stuff right up.   One of the coolest things for me personally was being able to see the video of Col. Cooper teaching the mental conditioning piece and the four color codes that he created on video.  Its one thing to read it or hear it from another Instructor, its quiet another to hear it from the man himself. 

Very quickly that morning we were on the range where we did a cold shoot and Hammers were introduced.  Hammers are two rounds fired, one immediately following the first.  Speed Reloads and Malfunction clearing were introduced as was holster presentation.  Again, the Instructor harped on those ‘little things” and again there was a chance for a brief friendly competition.   

Range time wrapped up just after 5pm for a two-hour dinner break and then we were back at 7:10 for the evening shoot.  We gathered on the patio and  went over the essentials for low-light shooting as we waited for sundown.  Once the sun began to set, it was to the range to learn how to use a flashlight to identify a threat.  The “FBI” method and the “Harries” method were both taught and we practiced shooting both.  Most of the students had never had the opportunity to do low-light shooting.  I am blessed to be a part of an organization and at a range that does this on a regular basis.  The day ended around 10pm. 


Day 3


At 8am we met back at the range for the final day.  Again it was a full day of shooting.  The Failure Drill , a School drill, and Use of Cover were introduced.  We shot all of these from the 3, 5, and 7 yard distances.  We also covered “pivots” and turns, and multiple target engagement. 

And no Gunsite course is probably ever complete without ending with the “El Presidente” drill developed by Col. Cooper and which integrates many of the defensive shooting skills into one drill.  Usually they time and score this drill but because this was the 150 class and students had not had as much opportunity to shoot as many rounds as is done in the 250 course, the drill was not timed or scored. 



The Takeaway


This was perhaps the best class I’ve ever taken.  The Instructors were extremely professional.  Yes, it was a “basic” class and I can’t say that I learned anything new Mostly, it was stuff I teach to my students as well.  

My personal challenge was pushing through the three days while sick.  Did I think about quitting?  Oh yes!  Often.  Frequently.  Constantly.  But I was not about to give up and give in.  That is part of that mindset piece too - pushing yourself physically and mentally to do what you feel you can't, and finding out that you can.   I was also relieved to find that I can still shoot.  Well.  

Why would I spend the time and money to go take a “basic” class?  Well, because you really can’t hammer on the basics enough.  I tell my students that all the time and remind them that no one is ever so good that they can not benefit from revisiting the basics.  If you want to be a good shooter, or a better shooter, its all about the basics.  The “cool guy” stuff is cool and makes you feel awesome, but you can not do the cool guy stuff until you have mastered those basics.  So that is one reason, and besides … its Gunsite

No comments:

Post a Comment