Friday, February 1, 2019

My Favorite Class to Teach - and Why

Sometimes people ask what my favorite class to teach is.  That is an easy question to answer - the Intro to Handgun class!   Yes, its true that some people see an instructor who teaches an introductory class as somehow not quite as good as an instructor who teaches intermediate or advanced courses, and yes, some instructors have no patience for the new shooter, but I LOVE it. 

I don't love it because I think I'm in any way better than another instructor, (I am not) but there are some reasons that do make me look forward to every single Intro class I teach.  


1.  New shooters know they don't know anything.  As a result, they listen.  And they learn!  Its hard to teach someone who thinks they already know it all.  I never encounter that kind of attitude in an introductory class.

2.  Usually the introductory class is the students first experience to formal training, and very often their first experience ever even holding a gun, much less shooting one.  What an opportunity!  As their instructor I get to lay the foundation for future training.  Whether they choose to continue shooting or not, may depend in large part on me.  That's a big responsibility, but its also a fantastic opportunity, and one that I welcome.  
A target of one of the students in
Intro to Handgun

3.  Maybe the biggest reason I love teaching new shooters is that I get to see a transformation occur right in front of me.  It is not uncommon for someone to approach their first shots with a good case of nerves.  I have had new shooters cry.  I have' had them flinch every single time a shot is fired.  I even had one proclaim that they were going to throw up.  (they didn't)  But then they fire their first shot ....and its usually right in the X in the center ring of the target.  I will tell them to put the gun down.  Once they have I tell them to look and see where they hit.  And then it happens....  They start to believe that they CAN do this!  As they continue to fire their confidence grows.  Nerves are replaced with big grins and a sense of relief.  There is just nothing like it.

Yes, its fun to teach a more advanced class where I can push people a bit more, and yes, its rewarding to see those shooters grow their skills too, but those new shooters are for me, as good as it gets.  

No comments:

Post a Comment